Friday, September 16, 2005

Last night's Presidential Address

Some questions for Karen Hughes (Communication Genius):

1. Regarding "homesteading": A. Wasn't that a policy from the 19th Century? B. You've had two weeks to come up with some kick ass stuff and you settled on that? C. Aren't some folks still waiting for their 40 acres and a Mule?

2. What was the point of that backdrop? Beacon of hope? Why not have the Pres stand in front of a group of evacuees in the AstroDome and explain these new policies?

3. Let's go with the blue, open collared shirt -- it'll make him look more "folksy" and "rollin up his sleeves." Right, except it was starched and unwrinkled. If you're going to go for "unpresidential" you may as well go all the way and throw on a bloody v-neck t-shirt.

4. What if I'm an insurance company. What if you are a resident of New Orleans. Your home is rebuilt, again. And it sits below sea level, again. Can I not insure you? Will the government make me? Does someone living in Ohio pay higher premiums to insure your below-sea-level house?

Discuss.
Hughes, I'll wait for your phone call and answers...

4 Comments:

At 9/16/2005 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the arching, flowery language at the end which would have been perfect Reagan, but was butchered by GW. I mean did Peggy Noonan write it and forget it isn't 1985?

Don't even get me started on the choice of clothing and location...these people are supposed to be intelligent and that was what they came up with???

How?

And as for the money he was spending willy-nilly last night -- going to a good cause and I agree with most of it. I'm just curious how we're paying for it? I think cutting the estate tax will trigger so much groeth that the enitre Gulf Coast will be back to normal in no time.

And one more thing. Throwing out David-Bacon and prevailing wage?!?!

Way to kick them when their down. Such compassionate conservatism.

 
At 9/16/2005 1:47 PM, Blogger Q. said...

Um, I think you meant "death tax."

 
At 9/16/2005 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't tell me what I meant. You know damn well I meant what I said.

Estate.

As in the ESTATES of the Hiltons, Gates, Buffetts, etc.

And I swear to god if you mention saving the family farm or Aunt Susie's lemonade stand I will kill you.

 
At 9/18/2005 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The estate or death tax, depending on your side of the aisle, is in the process of being gradually phased out over the next few years. This phase out was sunset, so the estate tax will return to it's previous egregiously high levels in 2011 or so.

Not that anyone but estate planners, farmers (it's true!), the hiltons (love my HHonors rewards--thanks for the free bottle of water nikki & paris) or accountants would care, but that's what I recall from my high caliber MAC estate planning course a few years back . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home