Monday, August 08, 2005

But, You're in Bethesda


I was in Bethesda, Maryland on Saturday night. Bethesda is a nice little city -- lots of restaurants, bars, and shopping. I was enjoying a drink outside the bar, Ri Ra, when the bane of my existence walked by.

Picture Mo Rocca -- with the glasses and the hair cut and the gangly, tallish figure. Then dress him up in a suitcoat, tight jeans, brand new Chuck Taylor's, and -- most importantly -- A SCARF!

Dude was wearing a scarf (like your Aunt Buffy would wear, not like you would wear in the cold winter months), tied jauntily around his neck. I think it was floral. I know it pissed me off.

I'll add the fact that this guy was carrying a big shopping bag from the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. Let's just think about that for a second. If he's from New York and was visiting DC for the day and brought the bag down on the train and then out to the bar with him -- that's bad. If he's from DC and got the bag at the MET gift shop years ago and brings it with him whenever he goes out on the town -- that's worse. Either way, I wanted to punch him in the face.

But that's the thing. Why did I want to punish this hipster wearing clothes that were no more suited to this area in August than to this area, ever? Was it because he looks like Mo Rocca? (As a matter of full disclosure, I had a friend who, every time Mo Rocca popped up on the television screen, would shriek "Oh! I love Mo Rocca!" I drew a lot of strength from Jesus every time she did it to prevent myself from punching her in the face.)

Or, was it just a visceral reaction to this guy and his clothes? It has to be. I'm not an angry person and this guy made me angry -- really, for no reason other than looking like a fucking schmuck. I think it was the scarf and the bag that truly put me over the edge. I mean, a suitcoat and pants in August (when you don't have to)? Fine. But a scarf and a museum bag from NYC? Now you're just showing off.

I hate show offs.

And Mo Rocca.

Weigh in with your own strong feelings about fashion or fashion combinations.
Help me not feel like "the only one." Please.

4 Comments:

At 8/08/2005 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused by your Bethasda post "Q".

Another person dressing a certain way shouldn't make you so angry.

I feel that there are deeper emotions and issues here that you are ignoring.

What does this "hipster" represent to you? Who does this "hipster" represent?

I wish you luck in conquering your inner demons.

May Jesus walk with you on your journey.

 
At 8/08/2005 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can i just say...i don't like the way we are throwing "jesus" around on this blog. I'm going to go ahead and say that our lord and saviour doesn't either. I happen to know for a fact that Jesus Christ loves mo rocca. (and miguel tejada. he loves miguel tejada.) so let's just keep it holy shall we?

also...i'm with soundbite--this hipster complex is starting to get a little scary.

not that i'm ever against punching anyone...i'm just saying.

 
At 8/08/2005 10:09 PM, Blogger Q. said...

First, soundbite1, your "identity" is incredibly arrogant. Do you think what you say on this blog is important enough to be reported later, at 11?

Second, I asked for other people's experience with fashion-hate. I did NOT ask for your tongue-in-cheek psycho babble.

Listen, this blog is supposed to be snarky and inspire funny commentary among those who read it. It is NOT intended to make ME the butt of jokes.

If you want to do that, start your own blog and fuck off.

 
At 8/09/2005 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Mr. Blog Writer, I hate trendy people too. Mostly because in high school "trendy" meant popular and popular meant pushing me into a locker. So my hatred for trendy people has carried on to today. I think you should have punched the guy...I mean he was wearing a scarf and carrying a bag from an art museum...like House of Puss was gonna do anything about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home